Saturday 5 January 2013

Day 4 - Letterbox

I must say, I have a new appreciation for the humble letterbox. I'm sure you'll agree we all just take them for granted.

I see them totally different now. Like little beings, they are so loyal, standing guard at the front of the house, day after day, middle of stinging cold winters and scorching hot summers. Getting peed on by passing pooches, and having spiders make them their home. Day, after day, after day, to collect anything from important bills and birthday cards to junk mail.
And now with the increased use of online communication, their job is getting less important and they are recieving less visitors than they used to. Its becoming a lonely and endangered life for the letterbox.

You can tell the ones that have been given special attention by their owners, the hand made ones, the expensive and specially "chosen to match" the house ones. But some I really feel sorry for...  the ones that have just been propped up against a fence and left to rust away.

Therefore I couldnt stop at just one letterbox. I wanted to tell all their stories and I was suprised to find so many along our road that had their own  personalities and uniqueness (is that even a word?).
I can see this turning into a bit of an addiction!

Anyhow, I'd like to introduce to you "letterbox"...















2 comments:

  1. Wow I have never seen so many different mailboxes before! However, not to far from my house some one has a huge walrus for a mailbox. This post really makes me want to stop and take a picture of it someday. :)

    ReplyDelete